December 17, 2008

Reinventing The Wheel

My boss, Jen, is still out on maternity leave. Despite her imminent return to the office, at least in remote form, I am throwing in the towel on AJAX toolkit development for our Intranet. Expanding the libraries to match the similarly expanding demands of our leadership has been a headache; the stack of feature requests is increasing at an exponential rate. In order to keep up, I've decided to check out two third-party libraries: Prototype and script.aculo.us. I won't win any awards for best practices in my work here, but switching to a mainstream third-party library is probably a step in the right direction. I'm regularly guilty of reinventing the wheel in regards to writing code, less so of repeating a title in a body of work, and I need to curb the itch to start from scratch every time.

No comments: